Charity of the Year - Chailey Heritage Foundation
We have been proud to sponsor Chailey Heritage Foundation as our Charity of the Year for 2018 and support their amazing work. Chailey Heritage educates and supports children and young people with complex physical disabilities by providing a range of services, especially catering for those with a neurological motor impairment, such as cerebral palsy. In June 2018, Karen Thorne participated in a charity fundraiser called "Midsummer Ball" - A Night of Nashville at the Hilton Brighton Metropole where she represented Chailey and competed against 3 other charities. The night raised more than £74,000 through ticket sales, auction donations, bids and a raffle. We were thrilled to have been able to present £23,567 as Chailey's share.
C J Thorne sponsor many individual events and individuals throughout the Year:
- For the last few years, we have sponsored the Uckfield Business Awards. An event which celebrates local businesses and individuals.
- In 2017, we sponsored "Emergency Services Person of the Year" at the local Uckfield Community Awards.
- In 2018, we sponsored a local primary school in the Dragon Boat Race.
- In December 2018, we will be sponsoring a Christmas Tree as part of the Festival of Trees event at Holy Cross Church in Uckfield.
- We have supported and sponsored Uckfield Rugby Club for both their men and women's teams. We have also done the same with the junior Cricket team.
C J Thorne staff regularly participate in local events to fundraise for many different causes:
- The Managing Director, Accounts Assistant and Plant Mechanic took part in a 5km run in 2018 to raise funds for Little Horsted School. In 2019 we hope to participate in this event again with more members of staff competing against each other.
- Members of office staff and site-based engineers have taken part in the annual Rounders event at Maresfield Cricket Club where in 2017 we were crowned winners.
- In September 2018 15 members of staff took part in the Wolf Run, which was raising money for Chailey Heritage
- We have also participated in many local community fundraisers such as Quiz Nights and Race Nights.
Every year C J Thorne welcomes students from Uckfield Community College for a weeks work experience to give them an insight into Civil Engineering, specifically helping them if any particular areas they are interested in as well as an overview of the Business. We also, where work load permits have accepted University Interns onto suitable sites to help towards degrees. We attend Career days at local schools to speak with students and give them guidance on careers within the industry.
C J Thorne are proud to ensure it engages with the Community on a regular basis and as well as the above, we also support other very worthwhile causes:
- We have provided the Christmas tree for Uckfield Town since 1951. In addition to this we provide our lorry to transport the tree and staff to assist in the installation
- During late night shopping events in Uckfield, we provide road signs to assist with road closures and also man these closures to provide assistance to motorists to follow diversions routes
- We assisted local group Brighter Uckfield with their project on Mallard Drive Roundabout. We cleared the area and provided resin surface so a bench could be provided for local residents
- We have for a number of years provided a number of vehicles for local community groups in the Annual Carnival of Uckfield
- We collect milk bottle top for Framfield church, these are donated to Eastbourne Hospital for fund raising
- We collect used postage stamps and send these off to Combat Stress who are able to recycle them